Safely remove gnupg 1.4 without damaging gnugp 2 on Mac OS?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Sun Jan 26 00:31:40 CET 2014

On 01/24/2014 12:48 AM, tomasio wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have GnuPG 1.4.11 left over from a former installation. Since I
> upgraded to GnuPG 2.0.22 during the installation of GPG-Suite for Mac OS
> (10. 8. 5 – Mountain Lion) I do not need the older version. Is it
> possible to remove it without hurting my keyrings?

Your keyrings are completely independent of what gnupg version you're
running, but to be on the safe side you should probably back them up first.

Since I don't know how the Mac versions of the gnupg software you
installed work I would be mildly interested in the question of whether
removing 1.4.11 might remove a library or something that the new version
depends on. If I were you I would remove them both, then reinstall the
new version.

hope this helps,

Doug