pgp export private key with password

Uwe Brauer oub at mat.ucm.es
Mon Jan 27 21:26:00 CET 2014

>> "David" == David Shaw <dshaw at jabberwocky.com> writes:

   > On Jan 27, 2014, at 3:02 PM, Uwe Brauer <oub at mat.ucm.es> wrote:
   >> Hello
   >>
   >> I just tried out iPGmail a app for the iPhone which supports
   >> pgp. However I want to import my private key and here the trouble
   >> starts. For some reason iPGmail only supports private keys in armor
   >> format which are password protected.
   >>
   >> But
   >> gpg --export-secret-keys --passphrase hallo --armor > oub2.asc
   >>
   >> Did not really add a passphrase, since I could import oub2.asc as a
   >> different user, without being asked the password.

   > I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do.
   > --export-secret-keys doesn't add or remove a passphrase.  If the key
   > has a passphrase, the exported one still does.  If the key has no
   > passphrase, neither does the exported one.

Right there is a misunderstanding. What you say is of course correct
so during exportation and importation no password is asked, however when
I want to *use* the key then I must provide the password.

However it seems that the application expects for some reason another a
password during the import process.