old pgp2.6x keys imported in gpg (compile pgp 2.6)

vedaal at nym.hush.com vedaal at nym.hush.com
Tue Jan 28 16:48:13 CET 2014

On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 9:43 AM, "Uwe Brauer" <oub at mat.ucm.es> wrote:

>The cipher for the key protection is CAST5
>
>However the key was originally generated with pgp 2.6.2 more than
>10
>years ago (yes I know it is only 1024 bit long and should not be
>used
>anymore), but could it be that such a key has some
>incompatibilities
>with RFC 4880??

=====

NO key generated in PGP 2.x has anything other than IDEA as the cipher for key protection.
(It is *possible* to construct such a key using Disastry's version of 2.6.3 multi x, but it would not be the default).

It may be more likely that the key was imported into some version of GnuPG, after removing its password in PGP 2.x,
and then GnuPG supplied its default cipher of CAST 5 when the passphrase was re-entered.

>I just tried to compile old 2.62 on kubuntu 10.04 but failed, does
>anybody has a suggestion?

I couldn't compile Disastry's version either on Ubuntu,
but was able to import the unix PGP he compiled on his website, into Ubuntu without problems.

Here is the re-creation of his website:
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/disastry/263multi.htm

His version allows all the ciphers GnuPG uses except for Camelia.

vedaal