Setting up shared access to gpg on a UNIX server

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Jan 30 08:09:44 CET 2014

On 01/30/2014 01:59 AM, NdK wrote:
> Il 30/01/2014 02:14, DUELL, BOB ha scritto:
>
>> I will appreciate any and all comments.  If there is a "better way" to do this, I'd love to learn.
> Every user in the group could "leak" the secret key. At least put it
> into a smartcard/token connected to the server: they'll just be able to
> *use* it.

Every user in the group could also destroy the secret key, if the
directory itself is still mode 777 -- write access on a directory means
you can unlink files from that directory, even if you don't have write
access to those files in particular.

A user just has to do:

 rm /opt/app/apps/dbmprod/gpg/secring.gpg

and it seems likely that you will be unable to decrypt any further
messages (unless someone has already leaked the secret key as NdK
suggests, in which case maybe you could ask them for a copy :P)

	--dkg