Key distribution via NFC

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri Jul 4 06:18:56 CEST 2014

> 1) might it be possible to combine several of these storage devices
> (reading them one after the other) to add up their capacity?

Probably, but once you've got a dozen of these things they sort of stop
being a convenient form factor.  :)

> 2) wouldn't it be enough to transfer the mainkey? Or even a fingerprint?
> The rest could be safely taken from the keyservers.

Yes, but...

Remember why the keyservers exist: because when a key is several
thousand bytes it's pretty inconvenient to keep it with you.  Only
keeping a 40-hexit SHA-1 hash is much more convenient: give the
recipient that and let them look it up on the keyservers.

But what if giving them your key was as simple as putting down a
read-only NFC token and telling people, "there, scan that"?

It might be popular with the crowd that shuns keyservers, for whatever
reason.  ("I don't like spammers," "I think they're probably monitored,"
"I don't know the keyserver operators so how can I trust them," etc. --
many of these reasons are ridiculous, but that doesn't mean there aren't
a lot of people who hold those beliefs.)