Key distribution via NFC

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri Jul 4 06:57:53 CEST 2014

On 07/03/2014 11:54 PM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> the ability to store 400 bytes, to
> access it quickly and easily, and all in a tag that costs less than a
> dollar and can be read with almost any modern smartphone, is kind of cool.

it is cool indeed.

You can also get all of the above properties, plus the ability for
(sighted) humans to detect any deliberate interference, and to know when
the device is reasonably shielded from eavesdroppers, with a QR code or
other medium-density bar code for which free readers are available.

The monkeysign project and the guardian project are both doing good work
in that direction.  Moving the signalling from visible light to the RF
part of the spectrum seems like it would be a regression to me.

	--dkg