howto revoke a key that has no secret key

eMyListsDDg emylistsddg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 01:25:38 CEST 2014

> Am Di 01.07.2014, 09:29:57 schrieb eMyListsDDg:
>> somehow i managed to send a key id to a key server that has no
>> secret-key. so i would like to remove it.

>> gpg --output keyrevoke.asc  --gen-revoke 0x<keyid>

>> doesn't work since there is no secret key.

>> at a loss as to how to remove/revoke this key

> Your question is unclear (at least to me).

> 1) You cannot remove a certificate from a keyserver. Not even with the
> private key.

> 2) You can delete a key from your keyring but without the private
> mainkey you cannot revoke the key. Guess what the consequences would be
> if everyone (i.e. those without the private key) could revoke a key...

i found my error and the priv key. i had created this pair on a linux vm some time ago and had forgotten that. back then when i exported it and imported into a win machine something didn't quite take. i'm in the process of updating the db, and getting things in sync.

appreciate your reply and help

-