Encrypt directly to keyfile

MFPA 2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net
Mon Jul 7 02:47:32 CEST 2014

Hi

On Sunday 6 July 2014 at 10:18:20 PM, in
<mid:trinity-c0cd6300-619d-419e-aae3-a6cb83269f55-1404681500884 at 3capp-webde-bs22>,
Matthias Fischer wrote:

> I can achieve something similar, by using:
> $ gpg --no-default-keyring --keyring /tmp/keyring.once
>  --import <KEYFILE>
> $ gpg --no-default-keyring --keyring /tmp/keyring.once
> --trust-model always --recipient <KEY-ID> -e
>
> But this requires an additional temporary file (which
> needs to be deleted), and I still have to look for the
> Key-IDs in the file, to give them as parameters.

In place of <KEY-ID>, can't you use a substring match such as "*@" or
"*." (without quotes)? Either of those would match any key's user-id
if it contained an email address.

> The interface could
> provide the user with an input-area to paste a public
> key(s) into, and then every automated mail (like
> forgotten-password, notifications or reminders) could
> be encrypted directly to those keys.

There was a project called Encreep [1] mentioned on this list about
six months ago. It is closed-source, time unlimited trialware. Keys
are pasted in or loaded from keyfiles - no keyrings or trust models.
Messages or files to encrypt/sign are pasted or loaded in the same
way.

[1] <https://www.encreep.com/>

But if the user is pasting a public key for future use, why not save
them all to a keyring and associate the key-ID or fingerprint with the
user's records, then use that key-ID or fingerprint to select the
right key to encrypt the forgotten-password messages, notifications or
reminders?

- --
Best regards

MFPA                    mailto:2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net

The trouble with words is that you never know whose mouths they've been in.