one key/pair for multiple email accounts

Kristian Fiskerstrand kristian.fiskerstrand at sumptuouscapital.com
Tue Jul 8 11:18:05 CEST 2014

On 07/08/2014 11:15 AM, The Fuzzy Whirlpool Thunderstorm wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 08, 2014 at 10:54:18AM +0200, Kristian Fiskerstrand
> wrote:
>> Wouldn't necessarily be to _hide_ anything either. I tend to use
>> it as a role-based approach, e.g. I have an own key for my work
>> address (that is barely used at all, but it _is_ available). The
>> primary reason for this is that I have that key located on the
>> company computer which is under the control of the IT department,
>> not me, so wouldn't want to use my own personal keys for that.
> There is no limitation of how many keys can be associated with a
> single mail address. You may generate one key for each computer you
> are using and tell your contacts to encrypt the messages with a
> specified key.

If you are talking about subkeys here, that works nicely for signing
keys, not so much for multiple encryption subkeys.

> For example, on a private subject - you may use the key stored on
> your private computer, so that the sender will ensure that you read
> the encrypted message on your private pc not on your public
> system.
>
> If privacy isn't absolutely needed, you may use the key stored on
> your public system managed by another administrator. Your key is
> safe, as long as you protect it with an uncrackable passphrase. The
> system administrator may gain access to your private key file, but
> not to your private key usage right.

What is to stop them from installing a keylogger if they wanted to?

> One last thing to remember: if you don't trust the system, don't
> store any private key on it. That's a bit paranoid, but it's better
> to be safe than to trust and regret later.

Thats not paranoid, that is good security management.

- --
Kristian Fiskerstrand
Blog: http://blog.sumptuouscapital.com
Twitter: @krifisk
Public PGP key 0xE3EDFAE3 at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
Audaces fortuna iuvat
Fortune favors the brave