Bug report:data lost

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Jul 14 16:35:02 CEST 2014

On 07/13/2014 10:42 PM, alittlephoenix wrote:
> Hi!
> I found a critical bug of GPG4win,which may cause data loss.It's
> that,when I select several files that with Chinese character names,right
> click and select encrypt and/or sign,and do it ,then these several
> files can not packaged and encrypted to a .tar.gpg archive.The data
> lost,not packaged in the archive.That may cause data lost.The issue is
> that ,the GPG don't support Chinese character well.In the above case,if
> the file named English letters,there's no problem.The same thing
> happens when select a folder which include several files named with
> Chinese characters and right click to encrypt or sign.This is very
> inconvenient.
>
> Is that a problem?

This does sound like a problem.  it would be good to know if this is an
issue with gpg archiving mechanism, or something to do with the gpg4win
graphical interface.

I don't have a windows machine handy, but I would like to try to
replicate the problem on a unix-like platform.

Can you give an example of filenames that get lost?

Also, have you tried using the command line tools to create the archive?
 I don't know what the command is called in gpg4win, but on unix the
command would be:

 gpg-zip --encrypt --output test.tar.gpg -r WHOEVER FILE1 FILE2

(replace WHOEVER with the name of the recipient, and replace FILE1 and
FILE2 with the filenames to be included in the archive)

hope this helps,

	--dkg