email bot for PGP/MIME PGP/Inline conversion

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Jul 14 18:18:17 CEST 2014

On 07/14/2014 09:06 AM, martijn.list wrote:

> Unfortunately this won't work. You cannot convert a PGP/MIME message
> into a PGP/INLINE message and vice versa. With a PGP/MIME message, the
> complete MIME structure is signed and/or encrypted. This includes
> attachments etc.

In the absence of attachments, I'm fairly certain you're wrong about
that. I've written a script to verify the signature of PGP/MIME
messages, and the signature is over the message itself (again, in the
absence of attachments). It should be fairly simple to take that script
and output the message body with a synthesized inline signature.

Attachments add a lot of complexity, but even there it should be doable,
just a SMOP.

The thing that would trip you up are message types that can only be
successfully signed with PGP/MIME, like HTML, and certain character
encodings. So you could never have a completely successful solution, but
you could probably get to 80% or so with a minimum of difficulty.

hth,

Doug