symmetric email encryption

Fri Jul 18 03:13:38 CEST 2014

Am Do 17.07.2014, 21:02:06 schrieb Robert J. Hansen:
> > I think that would be a nice feature for recipients who don't have
> > an
> > asymmetric key (those 99%).
>
> But given the overwhelming majority of GnuPG users have an asymmetric
> key, this is ... kind of pointless.

You haven't understood whom I want that for. People who have a
certificate usually would not use this with each other, of course. But
even the majority of people who "use" GnuPG (without being aware of
that) don't have one: The Linux users who have GnuPG installed because
the package manager needs it. And the 99% aren't even GnuPG users.

My claim is that it is easier to make someone just install GnuPG and
e.g. Enigmail than to make him do that plus care about certificates. I
would not advise using OpenPGP without certificates but often it may end
up as "take this or nothing".

Hauke
--
Crypto für alle: http://www.openpgp-schulungen.de/fuer/unterstuetzer/