symmetric email encryption

Sat Jul 19 05:09:31 CEST 2014

Am Fr 18.07.2014, 22:51:13 schrieb Robert J. Hansen:
> > Are symmetric keys more probable to be compromised than asymmetric
> > ones?
> Immensely.  An asymmetric key is a secret held by one person; a
> symmetric key is a secret shared by two or more.

A factor of two is "immense" to you...?

Furthermore it seems to me that you ignore the fact that in a typical
scenario you need only one of the asymmetric keys in order to be able to
read the whole communication between two (or even more as long as all
are part of it) people as the default behaviour is to encrypt for the
recipient's key and also for the sender's key. Thus every mail can be
read by each of the private keys.

Hauke
--
Crypto für alle: http://www.openpgp-schulungen.de/fuer/unterstuetzer/