even after deleting the 1st key pair, owner's trust is defaulting to ultimate

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Jul 21 16:16:08 CEST 2014

On 07/21/2014 04:33 AM, war.dhan wrote:
> i have created a key pair using the defaults at first.
> et the owners trust as ultimate using enigmail 1.7.
> then i realised about not adding :
> personal-digest-preferences SHA256
> cert-digest-algo SHA256
> default-preference-list SHA512 SHA384 SHA256 SHA224 AES256 AES192 AES
> CAST5 ZLIB BZIP2 ZIP Uncompressed
> since i have not uploaded the key to public server, i immediately
> deleted the key.
> added the above three lines gnupg.conf.
> created a key pair with same credentials for both key pairs:
> name: myname
> email: myname at email.com
>
> to my surprise the 2nd key pair has owners trust as ultimate.
> is this intended behaviour or is anything abnormal ?
> or is there any specific reason ?

Any key created by GnuPG is automatically set to "ultimate" ownertrust
by default, on the assumption that this is your key, so you are willing
to believe any certifications that you make.

If you want the 2nd key to have some other ownertrust than the first
one, you should change that explicitly.  But since it sounds like it is
your personal key (and your only key), i don't see why you'd want to
reduce the ownertrust from ultimate.

	--dkg