Mutt: Decrypting inline gpg format directly

Jeff Fisher jeffenstein at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 21:23:47 CEST 2014

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 06:18:39PM +0200, The Fuzzy Whirlpool Thunderstorm wrote:
> I wonder if Mutt can be configured to decrypt inline pgp messages
> automatically, without piping the attachment to `gpg --decrypt`.  I
> know, piping works, but it'd be more convenient to have mutt do the
> piping task and automatically display the decrypted message inside.
> If anyone has an idea or experience with Mutt, please give your
> answer.

I use this in my ~/.muttrc, which seems to work:

message-hook '!(~g|~G) ~b"^-----BEGIN\ PGP\ (SIGNED\ )?MESSAGE"' "exec check-traditional-pgp"

It's borrowed from someone, but I don't remember where I originally
saw it.

You can also use <ESC>P in the message pager to manually check a
message.

Cheers,
Jeff