Google releases beta OpenPGP code

Suspekt suspekt at gmx.de
Wed Jun 4 19:16:49 CEST 2014

I have read the article too but I have to disagree. People using gmail
will probably be logged in their google account all (most of the) the
time. So google knows what they're searching, watching, listen to music,
what the are talking about(g+) and so on. I think google has so massive
data about their users that scanning emails as another source just isn't
mission critical any longer. Probably they also know whats going on on
facebook and twitter by their omnipresent google ads.
IIRC google doesn't scan cooporate mails and students mail (if the
school or university participates in googles programs)  because of data
protection issues, at least in europe.

I think google offering PGP is VERY interesting for several reasons:
- it'll integrate seamless in gmail, so no issues with plugins getting
shut down or incompatible by some changes
- people maybe get used to encryption, so no more or less "i can't open
the strange attachment you sent me"
- they will probably find a convenient solution to integrate it on
smartphones, more and more (young) people don't use "classic PCs" at all
- i think some people at google are really angry about the
3-letter-agencies. see:
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20131106/00235225143/pissed-off-google-security-guys-issue-fu-to-nsa-announce-data-center-traffic-now-encrypted.shtml

To be clear: There are of course a lot pitfalls storing keys somewhere
in the browser etc. but its definitely a interesting development.

regards
Daniel