New user needs some help

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Thu Jun 5 18:55:43 CEST 2014

We've had this same discussion recently, i think on this very list.
please also review the archives.

On 06/05/2014 05:44 AM, Suspekt wrote:
> Am 05.06.2014 09:26, schrieb Cpp:
>> cert-digest-algo SHA512
> This will you incompatibility with many (I think all) versions of PGP.
> Maybe its not relevant to you if you mainly communicate with people
> using GPG.

The latest version of PGP supports SHA-512 just fine:

http://www.symantec.com/command-line/system-requirements

I haven't done a review of when that was originally introduced, but i
suspect it was years ago.  If anyone knows the timeline for this, please
send a pointer to it.

>> C) What is the purpose of this line "sig-notation
>> issuer-fpr at notations.openpgp.fifthhorseman.net=%g" in the config file?
>> I can't seem to understand it. Why was it proposed? Is it compatible?
> I'm not sure about this option and I don't really know what it means.
> Just leave it out.

I suspect you got this configuration from
https://we.riseup.net/debian/openpgp-best-practices -- on that page,
there is a link to an explanation about it.  you can read the rationale
for it here:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.notmuch.general/3721/focus=7234

hth,

	--dkg