adele

MFPA 2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net
Fri Jun 13 07:36:44 CEST 2014

Hi

On Friday 13 June 2014 at 12:43:37 AM, in
<mid:201406122343.s5CNhbsA053330 at fire.js.berklix.net>, Julian H.
Stacey wrote:

> Fran & Stac[ie|y] seem female American first names to
> me (British).

Fran is short for Francis/Frances, so is clearly (to me, at least)
androgynous. And is fairly common in the UK.

Stacy Keach is a famous male, and the only male I have heard of with
that first name, which is usually used for a female and spelled -ey or
- -ie.

> Leslie is an indeterminate British name.

Except it is another with gender-variant spellings, this time usually
- -ey for a female and -ie for a male where I come from (ignoring the
modern trend to invent your own spellings, which is a different
story).

> Jean would be an indeterminate name for all of {gender,
> nationality, & pronunciation} :-)

Isn't Jean usually female in English-speaking countries and male in
French-speaking countries?

> Hurricanes now alternate male & female.

I'm sure they used to be male names one year and female names the
next, but they seem to now alternate within the same year

> Cars & bikes get no names though some boats foolishly
> get called She.

A lot of people call their car "she" as well.Never understood that.

- --
Best regards

MFPA                    mailto:2014-667rhzu3dc-lists-groups at riseup.net

No matter what a man's past may have been, his future is spotless.