help needed getting gnupg to function correctly in linux

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Jun 20 09:03:06 CEST 2014

On Wednesday 18 June 2014 at 19:04:16, Philip Jackson wrote:
> It appears to me (in all my ignorance) that there is a problem connected
> with gpg-agent and PINentry.   The Synaptic Package Manager shows that I
> have gnupg-agent v.2.0.22-3ubuntu1 installed.

Check if you have a functional pinentry package installed.
It may come in an extra package, e.g. try to install
pinentry-qt4

A simple test if pinentry works:

pinentry
OK Your orders please
getpin
D asdf
OK
bye
OK closing connection

Next check if your agent can do it.
  gpg-agent

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner