riseup.net OpenPGP Best Practices article

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Jun 24 19:52:25 CEST 2014

> I recently, generated a new keypair (GPG4win), and the defaults
> presented where RSA/2048. I did, some digging around on the RSA vs DSA
> thing and RSA still seems
> to be the recommended way to go, the only thing I did was up my key size
> to 4096 I left all the other defaults.....

This depends on what you mean by recommended, and why.  The last time I
checked it wasn't possible to use DSA2 keys to sign a Linux RPM file,
for instance.  Likewise, there are smartcards that don't support DSA2,
and so on.

But if you're not using one of those niche applications then there's
really not much difference worth mentioning between RSA2048 and DSA2048.  :)