Size of client key jumped from 2KB to 25KB

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Sat Mar 8 10:42:36 CET 2014

On 08/03/14 00:29, Steve Strobel wrote:
> The extra-large key file has typical GPG headers and footers, but a lot more
> data between them than usual.

You can inspect the data with a command like:

$ gpg --list-packets "C:/Documents and Settings/steve.strobel/Application
Data/gnupg\pubring.gpg"

(that's one line)

It will spew a lot of stuff like the following:

:public key packet:
        version 4, algo 1, created 1258029184, expires 0
        pkey[0]: [2048 bits]
        pkey[1]: [17 bits]
        keyid: AC46EFE6DE500B3E
:user ID packet: "Peter Lebbing <peter at digitalbrains.com>"
:signature packet: algo 1, keyid AC46EFE6DE500B3E
        version 4, created 1382876493, md5len 0, sigclass 0x13
[...]
:public sub key packet:
        version 4, algo 1, created 1258031707, expires 0
[...]

You can send me the oddly large key and a normal one, and I can take a look at
it and compare them. I won't spend a whole lot of time on it, but it sounds like
it will rather stand out, since it is, well, large :).

HTH,

Peter.