Encrypting File with passphrase

Kumar, Vikash X Vikash.X.Kumar at in.tesco.com
Wed Mar 12 14:07:38 CET 2014

Hi Team,

Could you please help me to understand the following query.

We are using gpg encryption method for encryption and decryption in our application. We have generated the keypairs on server A and public key is imported on server B also a passphrase say "Strange" was provided while generating the key.

Now I am trying to encrypt the file on server B using this public key, I am able to do so without any matter I pass the passphrase or not.

So my ask is, if a key pair is generated with passphrase it won't restrict the encryption incase incorrect passphrase or no passphrase is passed? Also I was able to encrypt the file on server B by providing any random passphrase, but decryption is possible with correct passphrase only.

Many Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Vikash Kumar

This is a confidential email. Tesco may monitor and record all emails. The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and not Tesco.

Tesco Stores Limited
Company Number: 519500
Registered in England
Registered Office: Tesco House, Delamare Road, Cheshunt, Hertfordshire EN8 9SL
VAT Registration Number: GB 220 4302 31