Multiple Subkey Pairs

Thu Mar 13 23:38:00 CET 2014

Am Do 13.03.2014, 22:17:08 schrieb MFPA:

> > gpg --recipient 0xD4BC64B8\!
>
> I've never see it with a backslash before the exclamation mark.
> What does the backslash add?

That has nothing to do with GnuPG it is for the Shell.

man bash:
"History expansions are introduced by the appearance of the history
expansion character, which is ! by default. Only backslash (\) and
single quotes can quote the history expansion character."

"Several characters inhibit history expansion if found immediately
following the history expansion character, even if it is unquoted:
space,  tab,  newline, carriage return, and =.  If the extglob shell
option is enabled, ( will also inhibit expansion."

Thus the \ is not necessary in this case. But because I often forget
which characters inhibit history expansion I got used to always escape
"!".

If history expansion is active in your shell (bash: "echo $-" contains
"H") compare

gpg --recipient 0xD4BC64B8\!
with
gpg --recipient "0xD4BC64B8!"