problem encrypting with someone else's key

Charles Spitzer cspitzer at godaddy.com
Sun Mar 16 16:48:18 CET 2014

So, I used gpg 2.22 to import someone's key, and then encrypted a file with it. I sent it to them, and they couldn't decrypt it for some reason.

I then exported the same key, and found that the export file doesn't match the key that I imported. Shouldn't it be the same, or is there something in the exported key that is specific to the machine it came from? How can I debug this? I don't know what they're using to decrypt, but they are certainly using pgp. Their -armor key block came in with a version of PGP Command Line v9.0.5 (Win32).  The -armor key block that I exported showed GnuPG v2.0.22 (MingW32). Could there be some incompatibility between the 2 versions, or is there something I need to do on my end to ensure they can decrypt?

Regards,
Charlie Spitzer