GnuPrivacyGuard for Android v0.3 released!

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Thu Mar 20 14:53:35 CET 2014

On 03/13/2014 07:01 AM, Mike Cardwell wrote:
> * on the Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 08:54:01PM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> GnuPrivacyGuard for Android (GPGA) brings GnuPG, the most trusted name in
>> encryption, to Android.  Easily encrypt, decrypt, sign and verify files of any
>> kind, just by sharing them to GPGA. This app aims to provide a complete,
>> integrated cryptographic toolkit integrated into the Android experience.
>
> Does it supply a system of interaction with other apps via intents, like
> APG does? I'm just wondering if other apps will be able to integrate
> with it in the same way that K-9 Mail integrates with APG to add OpenPGP
> encryption for email...

We tried to provide the same Intent API as APG, but in the process discovered
that in order you use that API, the app had to be pegged to APG anyhow.  So
instead, we've been working with Dominik Schuermann of OpenKeychain and the
K-9 Mail devs to work out a new, better, open API for any app to implement as
a OpenPGP provider, and any app to use for OpenPGP services.

Our notes on the effort are here, feedback welcome:
https://dev.guardianproject.info/projects/gpgandroid/wiki/API_Sketch

.hc