Trouble importing secret subkeys

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Mar 25 14:30:15 CET 2014

On 03/25/2014 07:38 AM, Mikael Nordfeldth wrote:
> The problem I experience is when importing back the 'pubkeys' and
> 'subkeys' files (see Debian guide):

Hm, i just ran through the instructions at
https://wiki.debian.org/Subkeys with a dummy/test user, and they seemed
to work for me.  so something else is going on.

can you show the output of "gpg --list-packets < subkeys" or "pgpdump <
subkeys" ?

the output of either of those commands isn't technically sensitive, but
you may want to redact the salt and IV and s2k count from any secret key
packet output, just to avoid giving anyone a way to start some sort of
dictionary precomputation that would be useful should they find a way to
get a copy of the subkeys file in the first place (i don't think this is
a serious risk).

or, if you don't want to broadcast it, you can send me that output
offlist (you may encrypt it to my key,
0x0EE5BE979282D80B9F7540F1CCD2ED94D21739E9) and i can look over it
privately, and see if i see any problems.  if i find anything, i'd
report back to you and you could then share with the list.

Regards,

	--dkg