GnuPG encryption with key file

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Thu Mar 27 17:47:06 CET 2014

On 27/03/14 17:34, vedaal at nym.hush.com wrote:
> Even Truecrypt, which does use keyfiles, doesn't do it this way.

I don't understand what you mean with "this way", could you explain? I must be
reading it differently than you.

> Much as I like different crypto options, I don't think it would really
> improve GnuPG to have a keyfile option.

I don't think it would be an improvement either. I've never really believed in
keyfiles in general. Especially because to everything else it is "just a file"
instead of "highly sensitive secret data". This means you have to be very
careful when handling the file, and assumptions by the tools you use (with
regard to swapping out, etcetera) can be detrimental to the security.

HTH,

Peter.