UI terminology for calculated validities

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri May 2 05:39:26 CEST 2014

On 04/26/2014 06:01 PM, Gabriel Niebler wrote:
> GnuPG will also allow me to encrypt some text to (an encryption subkey
> of) such a mixed-case certificate (I think), because it cannot
> possibly know the intended recipient, so checking
> validity/authenticity/... of that specific UserID is up to me. That's
> as it should be, so also here, I can talk of the
> validity/authenticity/... of the certificate as a whole.

I don't think this is the case.  In the ideal situation, i'd want to say
to gpg: "here is some data; please encrypt it to <foo at example.org>", and
then gpg would figure out what key to use.  gpg *does* know the intended
recipient, and it *does* know the validity of every key we know that
happens to be associated with that user ID.

whether the OpenPGP certificate happens to have other user IDs
associated with it, and whether those User IDs are valid or not is
irrelevant in this case.

	--dkg