GPG's vulnerability to quantum cryptography

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri May 16 17:24:54 CEST 2014

> Quantum cryptography was only discussed relating either to asymmetric
> crypto, which AES isn't, or in relation to Grover's algorithm, which is
> used to brute-force an algo.

Peter is correct, but a little clarification may be in order.
Grover's is not a brute-forcing algorithm: it's a search algorithm.
To turn Grover's into a brute-forcer you treat the entire keyspace as
an extremely large database and you're searching through it to find
one particular entry -- the key.  If you get into more depth in
quantum computation you'll see Grover's appear in lots of different
contexts.  It's an important and fundamental algorithm that has
applicability far beyond crypto.

Let me repeat: Peter is completely correct.  I just want to make sure
people understand that although Grover's can be used to help
brute-force a cipher, it is not itself a cryptographic algorithm.  :)