GPG's vulnerability to brute force

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Sat May 17 18:51:28 CEST 2014

On 2014-05-17 15:28, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> Another way of looking at it: RAM is normally implemented as a
> flipflop.

I think the register bank in a processor is still implemented as
flipflops, and all computation ends up there (on a register machine)[1],
so your statement is correct in that respect. A register bank is a RAM.

However, the word "normally" is not quite apt. What you normally call
the RAM of your computer is DRAM, and DRAM is implemented by a charge on
a capacitor. This achieves much higher densities on a chip than SRAM,
but is also slower.

HTH,

Peter.

[1] Alternatively, in the registers between pipeline stages of the
processor. If somebody knows about the latest CPU techniques and
disagrees, by all means, enlighten me :). My knowledge pretty much ends
at basic pipeline design, and is not up to speed with current CPU
technology.
My key is available at
<http://digitalbrains.com/2012/openpgp-key-peter>