GnuPG class throwing null pointer exception

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed May 28 02:15:29 CEST 2014

On 5/27/2014 7:07 PM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> So let's say you've got this thread running, and it's cheerfully
> spinning along adding data to stream.  While it's doing this, you call
> its getString() method... and bam, immediate race condition, because the
> call to stream.append() is neither atomic nor locked by a mutex, and
> there's no guarantee that when you read the stream's contents the stream
> will be in a consistent state!

Mea culpa: someone just pointed out to me that as of Java 7,
StringBuffer is innately threadsafe and all the accessors/modifiers are
locked in synchronized blocks.  However, since this code dates back to
the Java 1.4 error, it would be an error under the JVM spec that existed
then.

My error -- thanks to the (wishing-anonymity) person who corrected me!