GPG 2.1.0/Win32: keyserver lookup problems

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Nov 7 17:39:01 CET 2014

On Thu,  6 Nov 2014 17:12, rjh at sixdemonbag.org said:

> Next round of problems: doing a --list-secret-keys takes considerable
> time -- approximately 28 seconds on a fairly modern
> desktop. --list-keys, though, is pretty snappy.

Found.  The I/O layer received many EAGAIN (WSAEWOULDBLOCK).  Basically
always after switching from writing to reading.  On EGAIN libassuan
introduces a 100ms delay before retrying - that sums up to the slow
listing (which requires IPC with the gpg-agent).  EGAIN should be seen
only rarely and thus the 100ms delay is a good solution.  However it
seems that Windows (7/64bit here, but the years before I developed on
XP) handles local TCP connections now in a different way.  The solution
is to select after an EAGAIN and retry.  This really speeds up things.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner