GnuPG 2.1 and Mailpile (LWN comments) about GPGME

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Nov 11 15:21:07 CET 2014

In https://www.mailpile.is/blog/2014-10-07_Some_Thoughts_on_GnuPG.html
the Mailpile developers would like to replace GnuPG with something better
and for the short term propose to extend GnuPG with a command line JSON
interface in the short term.

I've commented the article under the LWN news about GnuPG 2.1.0 release
https://lwn.net/Articles/619337/ as following:

"If Smári's thoughts on GnuPG reveal something, it is that we need to spread
more knowledge about how GnuPG works. In the post, the supported API of
GnuPG, GPGME is miss-spelled and the current python libaries for interacting
with it were not identified. http://wiki.gnupg.org/APIs shows that pyme has
moved to a new location with 0.9 published on May 2014 and the alternative
pygpgme's 0.3 is from 2012. There is example code which is nice to work with.

Of course the command line interface is not the best stable interface to
program GnuPG, it is because it is used as an interface to humans using the
command line. GPGME is much better, of course it can be improved further.

Yes, Werner and his company g10code need your support, see
http://g10code.com/index.html#sec-1-1 . (Full disclosure: My company
Intevation is a business partner of g10code.)"

Bernhard

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner