gpg4usb: Portable GUI for GnuPG

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu Nov 13 23:23:39 CET 2014

>> gpg4usb is a very easy to use and small portable editor to encrypt and
>> decrypt any text-message or -file you want.

I mean no offense, but this seems like a really bad idea.  Putting it on
CD-ROM might be a pretty cool idea, but USB is just ... scary.

According to Vint Cerf, roughly one in five desktop PCs is already pwned
by malware.  Plug your USB token into three different computers and
you've got 50/50 odds of your crypto hardware being plugged into a
machine that's under the control of a malicious adversary who wants to
use your USB token as an infection vector.

>> Our aim is, to give anyone the possibility to send and receive secure
>> encrypted messages anywhere - on any computer out there, no matter if
>> Microsoft Windows(TM) or Linux is running on it. Therefore it's usage is
>> self-describing, and the user-interface as simple as possible.

It's a great goal, but the way you're going about it makes me shiver.