gpg4usb: Portable GUI for GnuPG

flapflap flapflap at riseup.net
Fri Nov 14 12:16:16 CET 2014

Johan Wevers wrote:
> On 13-11-2014 23:23, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
>
>> I mean no offense, but this seems like a really bad idea.  Putting it on
>> CD-ROM might be a pretty cool idea, but USB is just ... scary.
>
> There exist USB sticks with a write-protection jumper (I have 2 so I'm
> sure). If those cannot be found, use a SD memory card (they all have
> such a jumper) in a SD to USB conversion unit.

if you refer to the "Lock" switch of SD memory cards, then please note
that this "Lock" switch is only evaluated in OS software and no
physical/electrical protection of the flash IC.  Normally, the mechanic
"Lock" switch only pushes away a contact on the SD card socket, so the
OS can evaluate whether the contacts are conncted or not.  On GNU/Linux
I think it is sufficient to just mount -o remount,rw a previously
read-only mounted SD card.
USB sticks with real physical (i.e. electrically routed to the
write-protect pin of the flash IC) write protection are rare, but they
exist (as you said).