Encryption on Mailing lists sensless?

Damien Goutte-Gattat dgouttegattat at incenp.org
Tue Nov 18 11:18:17 CET 2014

On 11/17/2014 09:30 PM, Nan wrote:
> I think you'll find this has been solved for years. The solution is
PGP/etc. between mail servers, and TLS/SSL to the user.

Why use PGP between mail servers? SSL/TLS can be used for that, too.
Actually, opportunistic server-to-server TLS is supported by many mail
server software, and is becoming more and common.

Using PGP for anything less than end-to-end encryption seems pointless
to me. Particularly if it distracts mail server administrators from
enabling server-to-server TLS, which we need anyway to protect the
metadata (headers) that are *not* encrypted by PGP.