Gpgma

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Nov 25 19:45:28 CET 2014

In some spare minutes while waiting for an airplane to arrive and my
vacation to begin, I did a little more work on the key backup and
migration tool that I mentioned on-list a while ago.  It's still fairly
simple, but there's a good side to simplicity: that also makes it hard
to screw up.

Major changes:

1.  Switched over to Java, mostly for access to a good GUI toolkit[*]
2.  Now there's a proper GUI on it
3.  Better sanity-checking and error handling
4.  Now on Github at https://github.com/rjhansen/gpgma

If you've wanted to contribute some code to GnuPG but feel a little
intimidated by the size of the codebase and the occasional hairiness of
C, I hope you'll take a look at gpgma.  It works, but there's a lot of
stuff that could be done as well -- things from simple to complicated, like:

* Adding a menu bar to make it look like a normal application (simple)
* Improving error handling and error reporting (simple)
* Making it able to recognize when it's given a corrupted/incomplete
   backup file (moderate)
* Making it back up everything but random_seed, not just the absolutely
   necessary files (simple to moderate)
* Use Eclipse/SWT to make it look native on all platforms (moderate)

If you're interested I hope you'll check it out.