How can I configure gpg-agent to run at system start-up?

Salih Kardan kardan38 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 19:26:37 CET 2014

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie to GnuPG, and just wanted to use gpg-agent for ssh into my
server machines. I build GnuPG from source and using 2.1.0 version.

I followed the instructions described in this mailing list thread
<http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2012-July/thread.html#45059>,
everything worked fine.
I want gpg-agent start automatically after every reboot, so I wrote a small
init script to start gpg-agent. After reboot gpg-agent starts working,
however when I run ssh command, I get *"Agent admitted failure to sign
using the key"* error. (If I start agent manually, I don't get this error).
How is different starting gpg-agent manually from starting it inside a bash
script during system start-up?

FYI, I also tried to use upstart script distributed within gnupg-agent
Ubuntu package, it also did not work.

How can I configure gpg-agent to run at system start-up?

Thanks.