Can I convert a V3 key and is it even worth doing?

Steven M. Sawczyn steve at sawczyn.com
Fri Nov 28 21:33:22 CET 2014

Hello everyone, I have a rather strange problem on which I could use some
advice.  I am starting to use GnuPG again after a number of years and to
that end, have resurrected my original key generated with PGP back in 1998.
For the most part this key works well although since it's an older V3 key,
certain software packages have trouble importing the secret portion of it.
To be fair it's not like hundreds of people have my key, however, this key
is available on public servers and I like the fact that it's really the only
key associated with me.  My questions are:

1.       Is there any way to convert my V3 key to something newer?  My guess
is no, but ideally I'm wrong about this.

2.       Other than my experiencing problems with applications that don't
support the V3 key, is there any other really compelling reason to abandon
it in favor of a brand new one?

3.       If generating a new key is the best way to go, is there any way to
get rid of the older key off servers?  I could generate a revocation
certificate, however my understanding is that won't really get rid of
anything and my concern is that having two keys with the same Email address
could lead to confusion.

Thanks in advance for any help with this, I'm excited to be using GnuPG
again and want to make sure I get things working as well as possible before
trying to introduce others to it.

Thanks,

Steve