WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!

Chris cpollock at embarqmail.com
Fri Oct 3 16:39:26 CEST 2014

On Fri, 2014-10-03 at 07:40 +0200, Hauke Laging wrote:
> Am Do 02.10.2014, 22:38:56 schrieb Chris:
> > I'm having to put my system back together again after my Mandriva box
> > crashed back in August. I'm up to getting my key installed and when
> > sending myself a test post I get this:
>
> > gpg: WARNING: This key is not certified with a trusted signature!
> > gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
> > owner.
>
> If you have not restored the whole GnuPG directory (~/.gnupg under
> Linux) but imported the keys only then the problem is that your keys
> have lost their absolute trust.
>
> You can restore that with
>
> gpg --trusted-key 0xE372A7DA98E6705C --list-keys 0x98E6705C
>
> or
>
> gpg --edit-key 0x98E6705C trust
>

> Hauke

Good morning Hauke and thank you for the reply. I ran the above and now
it does seem to show as a trusted key:

gpg: using character set `utf-8'
Version: GnuPG v2.0.22 (GNU/Linux)
:signature packet: algo 17, keyid E372A7DA98E6705C
	version 4, created 1412342971, md5len 0, sigclass 0x00
	digest algo 2, begin of digest b6 29
	hashed subpkt 2 len 4 (sig created 2014-10-03)
	subpkt 16 len 8 (issuer key ID E372A7DA98E6705C)
	data: [159 bits]
	data: [157 bits]
gpg: armor header:
gpg: Signature made Fri 03 Oct 2014 08:29:31 AM CDT using DSA key ID
98E6705C
gpg: using PGP trust model
gpg: key 98E6705C: accepted as trusted key
gpg: Good signature from "Chris Pollock (New email address as of
04/21/07) <cpollock at embarqmail.com>"
gpg:                 aka "Chris Pollock <cpollock at earthlink.net>"
gpg: binary signature, digest algorithm SHA1

Sending a test post to myself shows the above however shouldn't the icon
that Evolution shows for the signature be green instead of red since
it's now ultimately trusted? I seem to remember that being the case. I
published the key last night to

hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371
hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net

I'm using Gnomes 'Passwords/Keys' app which looks similar to GPG-Agent
which I was used to using on my Mandriva box before it crashed. I've
installed GPG-Agent on this Ubuntu box however I seem to remember in the
old box a 'user interface' that I could use to retrieve keys and so
forth. Guess when time allows today I'll go in and read the docs on it,
I was just too tired last night to get very involved in it. I should
also be able to import your key to my keyring from one of the key
servers, will have to work on that issue today. All of this is I'm sure
has simple solutions, it's just been so long since I had first installed
it on the old box that I've forgotten a lot of what I did. I shall go
back and Read The Fine Manual today and see if I can figure out what
I've neglected to do.

Thanks very much again Hauke for your reply, it was very helpful.

Chris

--
Chris
KeyID 0xE372A7DA98E6705C