[Announce] The maybe final Beta for GnuPG 2.1

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Sun Oct 5 09:13:53 CEST 2014

On 4/10/2014 12:35 am, Werner Koch wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I just released another *beta* version of GnuPG *2.1*.  It has been
> released to give you the opportunity to check out new features and to
> help fixing bugs.

I'm most of the way through a test compile (in /opt/local) on OS X
10.9 (64-bit) here and it's mostly okay, save for pinentry.  This is
where I encounter what is likely to be a *big* deal in the not too
distant future.

Specifically with OS X Apple have moved from using libstdc++ as the
default to libc++ as the default and they're not binary compatible.
Since Apple's decision apparently relates to the license, there's a
lot of speculation that libstdc++ will be dropped entirely in a future
release of OS X.

Now since the configure script for pinentry is about 13,000 lines
long, I'd appreciate some pointers regarding which bit I need to
change to tell it to use libstdc++ and behave itself (obviously
getting the code to work with libc++ is a much bigger job).

Regards,
Ben