How do I see what algorithm is used for a signature

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Thu Oct 9 11:42:15 CEST 2014

On 9/10/2014 5:20 pm, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> On 10/9/2014 12:54 AM, Doug Barton wrote:
>> I'm sure there is a way to determine what algorithm a signature was
>> created with...
>
> gpg2 --fixed-list-mode --with-colons --list-key [keyID]
>
> Once you learn how to read that output, you get a *ton* of information.
>  It's kind of overkill for most tasks, but it's kind of like learning
> how to use flex and bison: once you get the knowledge, you wind up using
> it in places you never thought you would before.

Except the reference to MD5 indicates the interest is more in which
hashing algorithm was used on a particular message.  In that case, the
solution is gpg --list-packets message.txt.asc (or whatever),
alternatively the pgpdump program displays this data in a more human
friendly format.

The pgpdump source is available here (for Doug's benefit, I'm sure you
have it):

http://www.mew.org/~kazu/proj/pgpdump/en/

Regards,
Ben