Libcrypt examples?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri Oct 17 06:00:41 CEST 2014

> I just want to keep out those with ernest, but
> not too intensely motivated curiosity.

Crypto comes in only two varieties: the kinds that will keep secrets
safe against a motivated thirteen-year-old, and the kinds that will keep
secrets safe against space aliens from Zarbnulax.[*]

It's kind of the nature of this list to believe there's no point in the
former and to obsess over the latter -- when neither dismissal nor
obsession is actually a very good policy.  I'm not going to dismiss the
former kind of crypto: my only lookout is making sure that you're fully
appraised of the risks.  Which it seems like you are, so go with God and
happy hacking.  :)

[*] "the space aliens from Zarbnulax" is my usual shorthand for "an
adversary with knowledge of mathematics and science far beyond ours, and
computers that operate at the outer edge of what the universe will
bear".  Most of the regulars on the list have heard me talk about the
Zarbnulaxians before, but I figure a heads-up for the newcomer might be
polite.

> That was, to say the least, not really satisfying.  But now I've gotten
> several responses with useful pointers to other libraries that might
> better suit my needs, so I'm a happy camper again.

Excellent!  I'm glad we could point you in a useful direction.

Incidentally, the author of cryptlib is a pretty reasonable guy.  If you
have questions shout out to him and I suspect you'll get reasonable
answers.  :)