The return of the crypto wars ?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Oct 17 19:09:39 CEST 2014

Hi,

maybe the decision to keep GnuPG infrastructure out of the US - even
after the lifting of the export restrictions - was not too bad.

  <http://www.goodwinprocter.com/Publications/Newsletters/Client-Alert/2014/1015_Software-Companies-Now-on-Notice-That-Encryption-Exports-May-Be-Treated-More-Seriously.aspx>

  We believe this to be the first penalty BIS has ever issued for the
  unlicensed export of encryption software that did not also involve
  comprehensively sanctioned countries (e.g., Cuba, Iran, North Korea,
  Sudan or Syria). This suggests a fundamental change in BIS’s treatment
  of violations of the encryption regulations.
[...]
  Encryption is ubiquitous in software products. Companies making these
  products should reexamine their product classifications, export
  eligibility, and internal policies and procedures regarding the export
  of software that uses or leverages encryption (even open source or
  third-party encryption libraries), particularly where a potential
  transaction on the horizon — e.g., an acquisition, financing, or

What do we have to expect next?  US hackers again not allowed to work on
or "export" open source software?

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner