The return of the crypto wars ?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri Oct 17 22:04:28 CEST 2014

> But not for the companies who allow them to make a living.  That is not
> protected by the right to speak freely, or are there other cases where
> limitations on the restriction of export of goods are help
> unconstitutional?

Commercial speech receives fewer legal protections than political,
artistic, or scientific speech, but it's not unprotected.  Basically,
corporations can be required to file paperwork before exporting crypto.
 It's not much paperwork, either: I think it's only a couple of pages'
worth that have to be faxed over to the Department of State.

In the case you're talking about, Wind River wasn't punished for
exporting crypto -- they were punished for not filing two pages of
information with the Department of State.  If they had they would've
been just fine.