new helper program for configuration import / export

Sun Oct 19 00:56:09 CEST 2014

Hello,

I am often asked whether (and how) it is possible to use OpenPGP on
several systems with the same keys. You are probably aware that this is
also asked here, not often but regularly. And then the "copy everything
except random_seed" fun begins again.

I just noticed how strange it is that there is no function for an easy
export (and import) of the whole configuration (including the key
rings). Strange because this is on the one hand vital as it is not just
for configuration and key synchronization but the same for backup and on
the other hand contains risks (random_seed; having secring.gpg with
rather weak passphrases on a cleartext backup volume). And is so
extremely easy to solve.

Thus I would like to emphaticly suggest rather not to extend gpg but to
add a very small helper program to the GnuPG suite. There is already
gpg-zip. It may be enough to write a wrapper around that. The result
shall be a program with only two commands:

a) save the complete configuration (optionally protexted with a
passphrase) to a single file

gpg-backup --with-passphrase --save /path/to/targetfile

b) restore the complete configuration from a single file (with the
option to overwrite or import)

gpg-backup --overwrite --restore /path/to/sourcefile

This could be easily added to the GUIs as they would just need a new
menu entry and a file dialog. Doesn't makse sense that they invent their
own backup / sync features.

I could do this myself – but as a script only (which would not be
portable). But if it helps then I would write that so that there is
something to lookt at what the result would look like and play with.

Hauke
--
Crypto für alle: http://www.openpgp-schulungen.de/fuer/unterstuetzer/
http://userbase.kde.org/Concepts/OpenPGP_Help_Spread