new helper program for configuration import / export

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Sun Oct 19 13:26:55 CEST 2014

On 19/10/14 00:56, Hauke Laging wrote:
> [...] having secring.gpg with
> rather weak passphrases on a cleartext backup volume)

> a) save the complete configuration (optionally protexted with a
> passphrase) to a single file
>
> gpg-backup --with-passphrase --save /path/to/targetfile

I'm not sure how you envision this, but wouldn't it be much easier, and
sufficient, to have a prompt on startup that read:

***WARNING*** Make sure all your secret keys are protected by an
adequate password before making a backup. Are you sure you wish to
proceed? [y/N]

Something in that vein.

Maybe even more verbose, explaining that the password is enough to get
the key from the backup. Or do that in the manual or something like that.

I think it might boil down to a simple file copy excluding some unwanted
files, and including everything else. Also remeber that the keybox
format is different between GnuPG versions (secring.gpg vs.
private-keys-v1.d); this suggests an "include everything except these
specific files" approach to me.

HTH,

Peter.