key length/size RSA discussion/recommendations in the wiki

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Wed Oct 29 22:46:02 CET 2014

On 2014-10-29 22:30, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> Technically, brute force is testing every *possible* value... not
> values
> that you know aren't going to work.  Why test those?

Well, why not restrict ourselves to primes whose product equal the
modulus? I could solve any key in constant time that way. The
distinction obviously(?) is in the cost of computing what makes a
"possible". But that's the thing about brute force that I thought was
not included: using computation to speed up your process, and using
insight into the mathematical properties of an algorithm.

But you are obviously more in touch with the material than me. If you
refer to just testing primes as brute force, I don't think it should be
so easily dismissed as I initially did.

Peter.

My key is available at
<http://digitalbrains.com/2012/openpgp-key-peter>