key length/size RSA discussion/recommendations in the wiki

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Oct 31 15:19:22 CET 2014

Robert,

On Wednesday 29 October 2014 at 19:00:39, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> > Because this gets asked quite often, I've started to capture
> > some arguments of the debate how long RSAs could/should/can be
> > at http://wiki.gnupg.org/LargeKeys

> I thought we largely addressed this in the FAQ, sections 11.1, 11.2,
> 11.3, 11.4 and 11.5.
>
> Do we need to address it in more depth?

yes, I think that the recurring debate demands that the arguments
are made visible so they can be tested by readers.
You can see in the referred Debian issue tracker, that Werner has to repeat
his arguments over and over again, there is not good place to refer to the
chain of arguments.

> If so I'm happy to write an extension to the FAQ.

From my point of view the wiki enables us to catch the debate and more in
depth. And arguments with its sources. Also it can show the discussion of
discenting views point. For example the FAQ does not cover the details of the
support for larger keys like 8 KiB or 16 KiB.

In my view this would be too much for an FAQ, which should be brief and more
official and thus more stable.

Best Regards,
Bernhard

Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, Germany; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
Owned and run by Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner