default user and recipient

Herb Burnswell herbert.burnswell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 20:30:00 CEST 2014

Hello Herb !

Herb Burnswell <herbert.burnswell at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am new to pgp and would like to understand the minimum flags that I
> should be using for my encryption/decryption needs.  I just want to
encrypt
> files for decryption by one other person.  We have exchanged public keys.
> I have read in several places that I can run:
> gpg -e filename
> In ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf file, I set:
> default-recipient-self
> which I assume means that the default key (I only have one) is used for
> both encryption and decryption.  However, I receive:

    In GPG.CONF:
default-key 0xCFAF704C
default-recipient-self
encrypt-to 0xCFAF704C
    means that the default key for signature is defined; and the message or
file will be encrypted always to it too, for your personal use, otherwise
you
couldn't read your own message.

    If you got the public key of the other person, you need to tell GNUPG
what
you want; two ways for that:
Add "-r person" on the command line
    or
default-recipient person (in GPG.CONF)

---------

Hi Laurent

Thank you for your reply.  I have updated my gpg.conf and imported the pub
key from the receiving user.

I am planning on putting my encryption/decryption into a script.  However,
when I run:

# gpg -r <recipient> -e <file>

I receive:

There is no assurance this key belongs to the named user

It is NOT certain that the key belongs to the person named
in the user ID.  If you *really* know what you are doing,
you may answer the next question with yes.

Use this key anyway? (y/N)

Everything works fine upon replying 'y' but obviously this will not work in
a script.  Any idea of how to not have this check?

Thanks,

Herb

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 9:53 PM, Laurent Jumet <laurent.jumet at skynet.be>